You’ve been driving for over half an hour when all of a sudden the engine light on your dashboard starts to panic. We will determine all the options and analyze them to make it easier for you. First of all, you should know that in most situations, there must be a main problem on your Jeep Renegade, so be very vigilant.
First, you need to figure out what problem you are facing and especially how serious it is. This can be revealed by the behaviour of the Jeep Renegade’s indicator light, according to the different categories listed below. Therefore, refer to the right situation in order to act accordingly.
What to do if the engine light is on when using my Jeep Renegade
Among these options, here are the ones for which you have to:
Drive at once to the garage in your Jeep Renegade :
– The engine light turns on and off, or flashes: the triggers can be multiple, but you will need to check with a mecanic .
– The light comes on and stays on: this is most likely due to the pollution control system which has flaws, so go to a nearby garage.
Stop your Jeep Renegade as soon as you can and get in touch with a mecanic for a tow to the garage, do not take the risk of driving with it:
– The engine light stays on and the car has performance disorders: If a serious problem is detected by the on-board computer, the safety mode is turned on. This enables you to drive in degraded mode (loss of available power), which helps prevent more serious problems (engine failure). In this situation, we strongly recommend you to use a garage for your Jeep Renegade.
– The light stays on AND flashes: This is the most dangerous scenario. This suggests that that the catalytic converter is overheated because it is damaged, which suggests that that at any time it can ignite. Stop your car urgently.
Probable motives of the ignition of the engine warning light
The probable causes of failure of your Jeep Renegade’s engine management system are multiple, but categorized into 2 groups:
– material problem: injection system (vacuum hoses, flow meter, injection pump, turbo), emission control system (EGR valve, catalytic converter),…
– electronic problem: defective or disconnected sensor, lambda sensor to change, computer,…
All the motives that could entail the ignition of the engine light on your Jeep Renegade
There could then be a trouble with a dirty engine injector on your Jeep Renegade. We therefore recommend that you clean it. It will operate as usual, but the air and/or fuel will have problems circulating.
A faulty injector on your Jeep Renegade can potentially send too much fuel and cause over-pollution, which will cause the catalyst to clog up (+ FAP (Particulate Filter) on diesel).
If the catalyst of your Jeep Renegade is too dirty, (there is not anymore the right balance of chemical components to transform the exhaust gases) as a result the light will come on.
Ditto if the injection pump has a particular problem.
A HS lambda sensor will no longer be able to check the exhaust gases of your Jeep Renegade and the ECU will therefore no longer be able to modulate the injection to lower emissions.
If your Jeep Renegade has a petrol engine, an ignition problem (coils or spark plugs) can lead to elevated pollution and as a result to the ignition of the engine indicator light.
Also, an overheated catalyst (if you were driving more aggressively, or the existence of fuel in the exhaust system that heats up everything) may cause the engine light on your Jeep Renegade to flash.
A throttle position sensor (a housing that adjusts the volume of air entering the engine) no longer enables the ECU to produce a balanced mixture between fuel and oxidizer (an oxidizer is a chemical substance that has the property of allowing a fuel to burn. An appropriate mixture of oxidizer and fuel can lead to combustion): The combustion is not correct and the engine is disturbed, which causes the engine indicator light on your Jeep Renegade to light up.
A clogged FAP (Particulate Filter) will therefore also logically be a cause, but in most cases another indicator standing for the filter also lights up in addition.
Poor quality or unsuitable fuel (this sometimes occurs with the E10) can cause this light on your Jeep Renegade to light up. It can then turn itself off once you have driven with some other fuel. This can happen due to an different pump change. If you are still taking fuel at the same place, ask the person who runs the gas station.
A dirty engine may cause the light to turn on . Indeed, soot can make some hardware of the engine less airtight (e.g. val)
To get more tips on the Jeep Renegade, take a look at the Jeep Renegade category.